Leadville Race Series hosts 50-mile mountain run, bike races this weekend
July 5, 2018
LEADVILLE — This Saturday and Sunday, mountain bikers and runners will be able to "Race Across the Sky" in the CenturyLink Silver Rush 50 Mountain Bike and CenturyLink Silver Rush 50 Run race events in Leadville as part of the Leadville Race Series.
The bike race features a 50-mile out-and-back course that takes racers through the historic mining district on the east side of Leadville, passing many grand and historic gold and silver mines.
Over 12,000 feet
The Silver Rush 50 also serves as a qualifying event for the CenturyLink Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race on Aug. 11.
Silver Rush 50 participants can have their starting corral position boosted for the CenturyLink Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race event if they finish within a certain timeframe.
The race features 50 miles of extreme terrain that starts at 10,200 feet and reaches 12,000 feet on four separate occasions.
Recommended Stories For You
"It leaves runners' lungs burning, hearts pounding and eyes mesmerized at the amazing Rocky Mountain scenery," said race spokeswoman Kate Lessman.
Leadville's legendary course became known as the "race across the sky" in 2009, when Lance Armstrong won the Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race.
But wait, there's more
On Saturday and Sunday, as if one race wasn't enough, competitors are invited to vie for the crown of Silver King or Silver Queen by taking on both days of exhilarating 50-mile challenges.
First, competitors can spend Saturday riding the Silver Rush 50 Mountain Bike Race, and follow it on Sunday with the Silver Rush 50 Run.
If racers finish both events within the allotted time, they'll be forever be known as a Silver King or Silver Queen.
Space is limited for both events. To register for series races and to find out additional information, visit LeadvilleRaceSeries.com
Trending In: Sports
- ‘Bring the stoke!’: OpenSnow’s Joel Gratz energizes locals for winter at Breckenridge speech
- Jonny Moseley, a ski bum touting a ski rum
- Summit High girls rugby doesn’t relent a point en route to 11th straight state championship
- Copper Mountain Resort wants to expand snowmaking, trails and overnight camping options
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed wins mark
- Bell tolls for Breckenridge trail troll as town council votes to remove controversial art piece
- In Summit County, government action on short-term rentals leads to new business
- Danish artist Thomas Dambo wants to save Breckenridge’s embattled trail troll
- Big Boi joins Gramatik for Breck’s Mountain Dew Snow Dance
- Colorado marijuana study finds positives for law enforcement, usage significantly up