Leadville Race Series hosts 50-mile mountain run, bike races this weekend
July 5, 2018
LEADVILLE — This Saturday and Sunday, mountain bikers and runners will be able to "Race Across the Sky" in the CenturyLink Silver Rush 50 Mountain Bike and CenturyLink Silver Rush 50 Run race events in Leadville as part of the Leadville Race Series.
The bike race features a 50-mile out-and-back course that takes racers through the historic mining district on the east side of Leadville, passing many grand and historic gold and silver mines.
Over 12,000 feet
The Silver Rush 50 also serves as a qualifying event for the CenturyLink Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race on Aug. 11.
Silver Rush 50 participants can have their starting corral position boosted for the CenturyLink Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race event if they finish within a certain timeframe.
The race features 50 miles of extreme terrain that starts at 10,200 feet and reaches 12,000 feet on four separate occasions.
Recommended Stories For You
"It leaves runners' lungs burning, hearts pounding and eyes mesmerized at the amazing Rocky Mountain scenery," said race spokeswoman Kate Lessman.
Leadville's legendary course became known as the "race across the sky" in 2009, when Lance Armstrong won the Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race.
But wait, there's more
On Saturday and Sunday, as if one race wasn't enough, competitors are invited to vie for the crown of Silver King or Silver Queen by taking on both days of exhilarating 50-mile challenges.
First, competitors can spend Saturday riding the Silver Rush 50 Mountain Bike Race, and follow it on Sunday with the Silver Rush 50 Run.
If racers finish both events within the allotted time, they'll be forever be known as a Silver King or Silver Queen.
Space is limited for both events. To register for series races and to find out additional information, visit LeadvilleRaceSeries.com
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge cyclist Taylor Shelden wins Ullr fat bike race
- Denver man finds meaning in adaptive sports after accident left him without his right arm and leg
- Team Frisco welcomed home from Lake Placid International Children’s Games
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Breckenridge Ski Resort extends ski season through Memorial Day for first time since ’90s
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Breckenridge Ski Resort’s ‘epic’ winter keeps getting better as it nears 200 inches for the season
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Misjudgments led to avalanche that killed Longmont man in southwestern Colorado, according to report