Mitchell earns state golf tourney ticket
September 20, 2012
Summit High School’s golf team shot its best score of the season, a 237, at the 4A regional golf tournament held Tuesday at Conquistador Golf Course in Cortez.
SHS senior Dylan Mitchell earned his third trip to the state meet after placing third overall in Cortez with a 73, just one over par. Mitchell was among the top nine individuals outside of the regional champion that would travel to the state tournament on Oct. 1-2.
Head coach Gary Sorensen said the regional tournament ended with an exciting sudden-death playoff between Montezuma/Cortez and Rifle, with Montezuma/Cortez prevailing.
“It was settled when a MCHS player holed out from about 90 yards,” Sorensen said via email. “This eagle provided (Montezuma/Cortez) with a one stroke win.”
The team playoff was followed by settling the score for one individual alternate spot. Summit’s Dave Metzger was included in the elimination, but fell short of qualifying after three holes. Though the team shot its best all season, it finished fifth of 10 teams.
Recommended Stories For You
Montezuma/Cortez – 226
Rifle – 226
Montrose – 231
Palisade – 233
Summit – 237
Durango – 238
Steamboat – 242
Battle Mountain – 249
Delta – 263
Eagle Valley – 280
Kyler Smith, Palisade – 70
Jale Budosky, Montezuma/Cortez – 72
R. Willis, Montrose – 72
Dylan Mitchell, Summit – 73
Tristan Quigly, Rifle – 73
Dylan Mitchell – 73
Dave Metzger – 80
Mike Magnuson – 84
Nick Wittrock – 85
Trending In: Sports
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Six years after graduation, Summit High alum Rob Courtney back as school’s athletic trainer
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Summit High freshman girls MTB trio parlays summer success into fruitful fall
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?