On St. Patty’s Day, tradition runs strong with Vail’s Ravinos
March 20, 2017
Eagle County's original extreme sports lifestyle club carried on its annual tradition Friday as the Ravinos inducted two new members. And with Argentina's Fernando Walker landing his backflip to earn his patch, the club is now international.
Walker brought a crew of a dozen or so Argentines to help motivate him to take on Vail's famous Wailer cliffs. After a few tries, he stomped a perfect layback. The explosion from the crowd was deafening.
"I'm so excited for him," said Ravinos vice president Dave Pleshaw. "I really like his crew; they love Vail and come here every year and it's great to solidify the North America/South America connection."
Summit County's Evan Hannibal cleared the feature on his first try for an easy initiation.
President Rob Bak gave the new recruits one rule to follow.
"The original Ravinos had one wish for this crew — to keep it classy," Bak said.
Recommended Stories For You
Dating back to 1960s Wisconsin, the Ravinos moved to the Rocky Mountains in the '70s. Longtime local Buzz Schleper helped bring the second generation of Ravinos into being about a decade ago.
"It's an honor to be a part of this crew," said Ravinos spokesman Steven Teaver. "The history runs really deep here in Vail. Wearing my colors drives me to get out and ride every day."
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge Ski Resort ski instructing community thanks 90-year-old for his contributions
- Denver man finds meaning in adaptive sports after accident left him without his right arm and leg
- Colorado Avalanche Information Center issues special avalanche advisory through Monday
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Breckenridge Ski Resort extends ski season through Memorial Day for first time since ’90s
- No one injured or missing in skier-triggered avalanche at Loveland Ski Area
- Inbounds avalanche at Taos Ski Valley buries 2 men near summit
- Can modular homes save ski towns?
- Gibbs resigns as commissioner for Polis cabinet post, Democrats will appoint a successor