Passport to Pyeongchang: With Dew Tour win, American snowboard phenom Chloe Kim first to qualify for Olympics
December 15, 2017
A week after she took first place at the U.S. Olympic qualifier at the U.S. Grand Prix at Copper Mountain Resort, 17-year-old Chloe Kim became the first U.S. snowboarder to qualify for the Olympics via another win at Friday's Dew Tour.
Kim pieced together a 93.00 on her first run to take the ladies superpipe title on the strength of consecutive 1080s, a back-to-back move that distinguishes the Pyeongchang gold medal favorite from any other female snowboarder in the world.
"It's like a dream almost and I'm trying to wake up," Kim said of clinching the Olympic berth. "I think today, when I get home, it's going to sink in and I'm probably going to cry."
Last week at the Copper Mountain Olympic qualifier an American trio swept the podium, a team accomplishment that was repeated on Friday, though with a slightly different combination.
“It’s like a dream almost and I’m trying to wake up.”Chloe KimU.S. snowboarder, winner of Dew Tour ladies superpipe title
Recommended Stories For You
Kim and second place finisher Kelly Clark (90.00), were a part of the trio again while Arielle Gold (87.00) edged out last week's second place finisher Maddie Mastro (84.33) to make the Dew Tour podium.
The Olympic veteran Clark managed to put together the 90.00 run on her final turn after she had a scary injury on her second run, slamming the bottom of her board into the halfpipe lip.
Though she had a bandage over a bloody nose, once Clark was cleared by medics, she didn't hesitate to return to the top of the pipe and give it her all.
"I looked at my coach," Clark said, "and the first thing he said to me was, 'Are you going to step on the gas?' And I said, 'Absolutely.'"
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge, Keystone to open lifts for summer June 8; golf courses in May
- Breckenridge Ski Resort closes 2017-18 season with Plunge (with video)
- As conditions ravage Imperial Challenge, Breckenridge’s Howdyshell wins, Campbell family shines
- The Denver Broncos all-time top 30 draft picks by advanced stats
- Lawrence G. Keane: Article wrongly blames ammo, hunters as eagles’ biggest threats
- Taft Conlin skier death lawsuit against Vail Resorts will have its day in court
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Summit County schools to close Friday as teachers join thousands at protest in Denver
- Breckenridge Grand Vacations named best large company in Denver Post’s 2018 Top Workplaces list
- Breckenridge fire district’s first contested election in years could shape future of county ambulance system