Pro surfing league on board for equal prize money in 2019
September 8, 2018
The World Surf League will be awarding the same prize money for men and women starting in 2019.
CEO Sophie Goldschmidt says the equal pay for surfers will apply for the league's various tours — world championship, junior world championship, longboard and big wave.
Eleven-time world champion Kelly Slater says in The Players' Tribune this move sends "a message to society — that equal prize money should be the standard."
Stephanie Gilmore writes that despite winning four straight world championships she didn't receive nearly the same prize money and sponsorship as men did. The women had fewer events.
The 2019 championship tour calendar features 11 men's and 10 women's events in Australia, Indonesia, South Africa, North America, French Polynesia, Europe and Hawaii.
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge cyclist Taylor Shelden wins Ullr fat bike race
- Free ski clinics to kick off next month’s Summit County 50+ Winter Games
- Frisco invites Summit County community to celebrate ‘Team Frisco’
- Silverthorne snowboarder Chris Corning podiums at Austria World Cup slopestyle
- Summit Cove’s Vailles turn son’s snowshoe world championship win into experience for everyone
- Suspect in custody after officer-involved shooting near Whole Foods in Frisco
- Backcountry skier died Sunday on Quandary Peak
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Suspect identified in officer-involved shooting in Frisco Monday night
- Justin Erwin accepts plea agreement in 2016 Silverthorne sexual assault case