Ahn retires from skating
September 5, 2018
MOSCOW — Olympic speedskating great Viktor Ahn is retiring from the sport.
The South Korean-born Russian short-track speedskater, who is 32 years old, is the most decorated athlete in his sport in Olympic history.
Ahn won three gold medals while competing for South Korea in 2006 as Ahn Hyun-soo. He then won three more in 2014 for Russia as Viktor Ahn after switching allegiance following conflicts with the South Korean coaching staff.
Ahn was excluded from the Pyeongchang Olympics in February after the International Olympic Committee refused to invite him. With the Russian team banned for widespread doping, the IOC said it couldn't be sure he was clean.
Trending In: Sports
- Free ski clinics to kick off next month’s Summit County 50+ Winter Games
- Frisco invites Summit County community to celebrate ‘Team Frisco’
- Silverthorne snowboarder Chris Corning podiums at Austria World Cup slopestyle
- Summit Cove’s Vailles turn son’s snowshoe world championship win into experience for everyone
- Breckenridge cyclist Taylor Shelden wins Ullr fat bike race
- Suspect in custody after officer-involved shooting near Whole Foods in Frisco
- Backcountry skier died Sunday on Quandary Peak
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Suspect identified in officer-involved shooting in Frisco Monday night
- Justin Erwin accepts plea agreement in 2016 Silverthorne sexual assault case