Ahn retires from skating
September 5, 2018
MOSCOW — Olympic speedskating great Viktor Ahn is retiring from the sport.
The South Korean-born Russian short-track speedskater, who is 32 years old, is the most decorated athlete in his sport in Olympic history.
Ahn won three gold medals while competing for South Korea in 2006 as Ahn Hyun-soo. He then won three more in 2014 for Russia as Viktor Ahn after switching allegiance following conflicts with the South Korean coaching staff.
Ahn was excluded from the Pyeongchang Olympics in February after the International Olympic Committee refused to invite him. With the Russian team banned for widespread doping, the IOC said it couldn't be sure he was clean.
Trending In: Sports
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Six years after graduation, Summit High alum Rob Courtney back as school’s athletic trainer
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Summit High freshman girls MTB trio parlays summer success into fruitful fall
- ‘It’s freedom’: Breckenridge’s Shannon Galpin shares behind-the-scenes story that became ‘Afghan Cycles’ film (podcast)
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- Developer blasts Silverthorne town council after Hudson Park Lofts project falls through
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Jury finds Kenneth Casey guilty in Frisco child pornography trial
- Frisco town manager announces resignation effective Oct. 9