Summit County fishing report: Waiting for the kokanee
September 11, 2012
River fishing hasn’t changed appreciably from last week, with the water running
low and clear. Mornings and evenings remain the better times to fish; Leave the warm afternoons to nap time. Terrestrials, especially hoppers with a dropper are an excellent choice during the day.
As we move into fall, interest in kokanee runs increases. The earliest run in the state is out of Blue Mesa Reservoir up the Gunnison River. The run is currently in progress, but unfortunately it is one long haul for the majority of folks.
Looking closer to home, Green Mountain Reservoir and Wolford Reservoir are the key locations. Of the two, only Green Mountain is reporting sporadic action. Recent reports suggest the kokanee are staging at the inlet to the Blue River but have yet to start a serious run, moving in and out on an irregular basis. Those lucky enough to time it right are reaching limits, but for most it’s a total miss. The consolation is the trout action has been decent with a variety of baits and lures.
Another good option for anglers is South Park’s Eleven Mile Reservoir. Water temperatures are in the low 60s, meaning trolling deeper into cooler waters (10-25 feet) is a good choice. Those using spoons, especially gold with a bit of orange or pink are picking up fish in the 16-inch or better class.
If trolling isn’t an option, concentrate your efforts to the couple hours at sunrise and sunset. Good surface action, primarily on midges, has been noted.
Recommended Stories For You
The next few weeks through October is a great time to start fishing the dikes at Granby for lake trout staging for the spawn. Most will be smaller, under 24 inches, but the action is often good. Small tube jigs and kastmasters are an excellent choice right now.
Trending In: Sports
- Six years after graduation, Summit High alum Rob Courtney back as school’s athletic trainer
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Breckenridge Film Fest features ‘Afghan Cycles’ documentary, other outdoor-related films
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-Ten Mile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- A nationally known champion of Native American art, Nancy Blomberg loved Breckenridge’s landscape
- Williams Sonoma outlet coming to Silverthorne this fall
- Frisco child pornography trial hinges on disturbing images, chain of custody for digital evidence