Summit High Roundup: Gray lifts soccer team in double OT
April 28, 2009
With 53 seconds remaining in double overtime, Summit junior Kayla Gray corralled a through pass from senior Rachel Burnette and buried a shot in the back of the net to give the Tiger girls’ soccer team a 1-0 win at Alameda, Tuesday.
“It was a thriller,” SHS head coach Tommy Gogolen said afterward. “The first and second halves were just battles. There were a lot of fouls, and both teams played very aggressive. It was great to see the girls play that way.”
Hailey Curnutte, making her first start in goal after being injured the last three weeks, made nine saves in the win.
In a tight, defensive matchup, Gogolen gave a lot of credit to Katie Pussey and Hannah Banks for holding off the Alameda offense.
“Katie was phenomenal tonight,” the coach said. “That was one of her best games of the season.”
Gogolen said that the game ultimately came down to “which team wanted it more,” and he was happy to say it was his Tigers that showed the will to win.
Recommended Stories For You
“It was just a great game to watch,” he said. ” … They really played hard and aggressive.”
The Tigers (3-9) close out the season with games today and Thursday. Summit travels to Evergreen today for a 6 p.m. match.
Senior goalkeeper Bobby Bouchard made 24 saves, but the Summit High girls’ lacrosse team struggled to a 16-5 loss Tuesday at St. Mary’s Academy.
“Bobby came up really big for us,” SHS head coach Kristin Elliott said. “She helped us keep our heads in the game, but we were just breaking down defensively.”
The Tigers received goals from Cody Seaboldt, Victoria Strassler and Steph Snyder. Jaclin Limone scored Summit’s other two tallies.
The loss marks Summit’s sixth in as many games.
“We’ve just been playing some harder teams
lately,” Elliott said. “These last few teams have been pretty good.”
The Tigers (5-7) play at Jefferson today at 4:15 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Bikepack pilgrimage: Frisco’s Zach Husted pedals through Colorado Trail in 11 days (podcast)
- With stellar final run, Silverthorne’s Corning wins X Games bronze medal
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- With changes to inspection rules, boating season begins Friday at Green Mountain Reservoir
- Developer: This is the best chance to ‘Finish Peak 8 the right way’
- Invitation to dog’s birthday party goes viral in Summit County
- Another mad month for Summit County sales as March numbers find towns all up — again
- High Country Crime: Parachute family held hostage
- Frisco hosting open house on Highway 9 Gap Project design