Summit Youth Hockey teams ace championships
April 2, 2013
Summit Youth Hockey teams performed well this season with six teams making it into the league playoffs. The summit, peewees, bantams and midgets made it to championship contests and the peewee and midget squads came home as league champions.
“We were particularly pleased with the class and sportsmanship demonstrated at every game by our players,” said Summit Youth Hockey director Bob Chesnutt.
The peewees came from behind twice, winning both the semifinal and final in overtime to take the title. The midgets cruised to victory despite being down two players for the championship game. The bantams achieved a surprise upset to make the championship game. Both squirt teams exceeded expectations this year as well.
The intermediate mites went undefeated for four games at the Vail Jamboree on the same weekend. Summit’s girls’ U-12 also had a strong showing at its league tournament, turning out several close games.
To wrap up a successful season, Summit Youth Hockey will be hosting its annual Hockey Classic Fundraiser Friday at 5:30 p.m. and Saturday at 5 p.m. The event pairs celebrity hockey players with local coaches and players in a friendly tournament. This year’s celebrities will include John Grahame, Rick Boh, Nick Larson, Ken Klee and former Colorado Avalanche player Stephane Yelle, among many others. The event will be held at the Stephen C. West Ice Arena in Breckenridge. Tickets are $5 at the door for two games per night. Concessions, silent auction and prizes are all part of the fun. All proceeds will benefit Summit Youth Hockey programs and scholarships.
“The Hockey Classic is a fantastic event,” said Jessica Johns, Summit Youth Hockey marketing manager. “We look forward to playing some fast and fun hockey and raising funds to continue to grow and support our programs.”
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge, Keystone to open lifts for summer June 8; golf courses in May
- Breckenridge Ski Resort closes 2017-18 season with Plunge (with video)
- The Denver Broncos all-time top 30 draft picks by advanced stats
- As conditions ravage Imperial Challenge, Breckenridge’s Howdyshell wins, Campbell family shines
- Lawrence G. Keane: Article wrongly blames ammo, hunters as eagles’ biggest threats
- Taft Conlin skier death lawsuit against Vail Resorts will have its day in court
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Breckenridge Grand Vacations named best large company in Denver Post’s 2018 Top Workplaces list
- Summit County schools to close Friday as teachers join thousands at protest in Denver
- Breckenridge fire district’s first contested election in years could shape future of county ambulance system