Team USA keeper Tim Howard leads Rapids in MLS Cup bid against L.A. Galaxy Sunday
October 29, 2016
COMMERCE CITY — With a 3-1 win over Real Salt Lake in the knockout round of the MLS playoffs Wednesday night, the Los Angeles Galaxy emerged as the opponent the Rapids will face when they open their pursuit of the MLS Cup this weekend.
Colorado will play at Los Angeles on Sunday, then host the Galaxy the following Sunday to conclude a two-game series. Start times will not be announced until after Thursday's playoff games.
Colorado finished second in the Western Conference (and second overall in MLS) in the regular season while the Galaxy finished third in the conference (sixth overall), but the two teams played three close games. Colorado won 1-0 at home on March 12 on a second-half stoppage-time goal by Marco Pappa. The other games ended in ties at LA (1-1 and 0-0).
"They're a very good home team, we're going there first and they have a lot of really sharp players," said Rapids captain Sam Cronin. "We have to make sure we don't concede an early goal and start chasing the game, chasing the series. We have to make sure we start good."
“I don’t need the money. I’ve got enough money at 37 to retire and never work again. I want to win. I want to be a part of something that’s special. ...”Tim HowardColorado Rapids goalkeeper
Recommended Stories For You
Read on for the complete Denver Post article about the L.A. Galaxy contest and a Post profile of the Rapids' all-star keeper Tim Howard.
Trending In: Sports
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-Ten Mile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- That winning feeling: Summit High football tops Woodland Park 38-30 for first win since last October
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- “Ill equipped” hikers with dog rescued after attempting 13er in shorts, tank tops
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect
- Gubernatorial candidate Jared Polis unveils plan to lower health care costs