Tigers baseball loses 1st league games of season, plus girls lacrosse
May 2, 2017
Summit vs. Palisade | Tigers baseball, April 28
The final double header of the regular baseball season, hosted by 4A Western Slope foes Palisade in Palisade on April 28. The Tigers lost the first game, 2-4, and the second game, 1-12. The two losses dropped Summit's record to 12-4 overall and 7-2 in the 4A Slope, and the varsity team is now second place in the league behind Palisade. Summit fell from No. 9 to No. 13 overall (CHSAA) in the 4A state rankings, while Palisade soared to No. 4.
The result from Summit's game on May 2 against Battle Mountain in Edwards was not available at press time. Tigers varsity head coach Tom Looby has a recap from the double header:
In Game One, senior Andrew Shaw pitched a complete game, striking out eight Palisade batters and allowing one earned run. At the plate, Turner McDonald, Jacob Payer and Will Drewes had two hits apiece. McDonald and Drewes each had doubles for the Tigers.
Two critical errors by the Tigers accounted for three of Palisade's runs in Game One: one run in the first inning and two more in the fourth inning. The Tigers were also the victims of bad luck in the third inning. With the score tied 1-1, Summit had loaded the bases with one out. Senior catcher Brian Hessler ripped a hard line drive to the hole between the first and second basemen. Unfortunately, the ball bounced and hit the Summit runner heading to second base for the second out, and then caromed to the first baseman, who made the putout on Hessler at first base for the third out. What would have been a two-run scoring hit for the Tigers turned into a double play for Palisade.
The Tigers only managed two hits in Game Two. Sam Hull, Will Heuck and Omar Nunez pitched for the Tigers. Nunez finished the game, pitching three scoreless innings — the only real bright spot in the Tigers loss.
Recommended Stories For You
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Runs H E
Summit 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 8 2
Palisade 1 0 0 2 0 1 0 4 – –
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Runs H E
Summit 1 0 0 0 0 – – 1 2 2
Palisade 0 5 7 0 0 – – 12 – –
Summit vs. Battle Mountain | Lady Tigers lacrosse, April 26
A home girls lacrosse game against cross-county rivals Battle Mountain, hosted at Summit High on April 26. The Lady Tigers lost, 5-16, and dropped to 6-6 overall and 5-5 in the Western league before playing Rangeview on April 27. The results from that game were not available at press time.
The results from the Lady Tigers game on May 2 against Evergreen in Evergreen also weren't available at press time.
1Q 2Q Final
Summit 4 1 5
BMHS 8 8 16
Summit vs. Golden | Lady Tigers lacrosse, April 25
A non-conference girls lacrosse game, hosted by Golden in Golden on April 25. The Lady Tigers lost, 6-12.
1Q 2Q Final
Summit 4 2 6
Golden 5 7 12
Trending In: Sports
- Breckenridge to have 1K acres of skiable terrain through Sunday, most all on Peak 8
- At Copper Mountain Resort’s closing weekend, slopesoakers explain what makes a great pond skimmer (video)
- Podcast: Breckenridge’s ‘Doc PJ’ chats Saturday’s Imperial Challenge ‘pseduo-triathlon’
- Breckenridge’s Bonenberger, Frisco’s Gionfriddo excel at 2018 USASA nationals at Copper Mountain
- Cannabis for your workout: Four cannabis connoisseurs dish on their preferred strains when recreating
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Summit County and the rest of the High Country may see up to 8 inches of snow later this week
- Summit County real estate sales slow down in March
- Breckenridge pot shops nabbed at least 178 fake IDs since January 2017