Tokyo 2020 names director for Olympic ceremonies
July 30, 2018
TOKYO — A renowned actor in traditional Japanese theater will oversee the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.
The Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee announced Monday that Mansai Nomura will be chief executive creative director for all four ceremonies.
Generations of his family have been involved in a form of theater called "kyogen" for 250 years.
Nomura has also appeared in Japanese movies.
He produced and directed modern plays in Japan and overseas.
The selection committee cited his experience and knowledge of both classical and modern Japanese arts.
Recommended Stories For You
Tokyo 2020 also named movie director Takashi Yamazaki as executive creative director for the two Olympic ceremonies, and ad agency creative director Hiroshi Sasaki in the same role for the Paralympic events.
Sasaki was behind the segment at the closing ceremony of the 2016 Rio Games. That event featured Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as the Super Mario game character.
Trending In: Sports
- From surfing to snowboarding: Catching up with U.S. snowboarders Red Gerard and Julia Marino
- Summit’s summits: Gary Fondl finishes off county’s 101 highest peaks (podcast)
- Thanksgiving open for Frisco Adventure Park tubing hill and Frisco Nordic Center
- Birds of Prey is officially a go in December
- Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin ski areas to open new terrain
- Dave and Amanda Repsher settle back into Summit County life years after deadly helicopter crash
- Summit County is contemplating changing tax assessment rates on for-profit homeowners
- String of fights at Summit High School could lead to charges against multiple students
- Slash and burn: photos from the pile burnings along Swan Mountain Road
- Summit Daily letters: Shame on you, town of Breck