Tokyo 2020 names director for Olympic ceremonies
July 30, 2018
TOKYO — A renowned actor in traditional Japanese theater will oversee the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.
The Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee announced Monday that Mansai Nomura will be chief executive creative director for all four ceremonies.
Generations of his family have been involved in a form of theater called "kyogen" for 250 years.
Nomura has also appeared in Japanese movies.
He produced and directed modern plays in Japan and overseas.
The selection committee cited his experience and knowledge of both classical and modern Japanese arts.
Recommended Stories For You
Tokyo 2020 also named movie director Takashi Yamazaki as executive creative director for the two Olympic ceremonies, and ad agency creative director Hiroshi Sasaki in the same role for the Paralympic events.
Sasaki was behind the segment at the closing ceremony of the 2016 Rio Games. That event featured Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as the Super Mario game character.
Trending In: Sports
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Six years after graduation, Summit High alum Rob Courtney back as school’s athletic trainer
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Summit High freshman girls MTB trio parlays summer success into fruitful fall
- ‘It’s freedom’: Breckenridge’s Shannon Galpin shares behind-the-scenes story that became ‘Afghan Cycles’ film (podcast)
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- Developer blasts Silverthorne town council after Hudson Park Lofts project falls through
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Jury finds Kenneth Casey guilty in Frisco child pornography trial
- Frisco town manager announces resignation effective Oct. 9