Vail Resorts announces 3-year partnership with GoPro
June 10, 2015
In the heart of this past weekend's GoPro Mountain Games in Vail — an annual early-summer event that draws some 45,000 outdoor junkies to the mountain — the title sponsor, GoPro, and the Games' host, Vail Resorts, confirmed they're a match made in industry heaven.
On June 4, the two announced the renewal of a three-year partnership that establishes GoPro as the official camera of Vail Resorts. According to a press release from Vail Resorts, the deal includes carrying GoPro products in retail stores (think Breckenridge Sports), marketing collateral, promotional materials, sponsorships, camera demos and on-site event activations, much like the ever-popular GoPro Games. The brand will also get prime placement through Vail Resorts' social-marketing platforms.
The collaboration between the two brands also encourages adventure seekers and travelers to capture their mountain experience with a GoPro to share with their friends, family and social networks.
Each season, on-mountain marketing teams will work with GoPro cameras to film promo material. The videos give resort guests and outdoor enthusiasts around the world GoPro footage of the diverse terrain, epic skiing and snowboarding conditions, memorable mountain backdrops and legendary summertime activities. The hope: they'll buy a camera to create content of their own.
"Vail Resorts and GoPro are two world-class brands coming together to form a valuable partnership consistent with our mission to create an experience of a lifetime for our guests," said Kirsten Lynch, chief marketing officer of Vail Resorts. "GoPro shares Vail Resorts' culture of innovation and progression, and I'm excited to see this partnership come to life through social media, on-snow activations, marketing and consumer-driven synergies."
The all-seasons partnership will augment the guest experience at all Vail Resorts properties, including all 10 stateside resorts split between Colorado, Utah, Lake Tahoe and the Midwest.
Recommended Stories For You
"Vail Resorts are the perfect year-round backdrop for GoPro videos and photos, whether you're enjoying hiking and biking in the summertime or a powder day on the slopes in the winter," GoPro senior vice president of marketing Paul Crandell said.
Vail Resorts and GoPro also share a number of sponsored athletes, including ski phenom Lindsey Vonn, Olympic snowboarder Sage Kotsenburg, freestyle skier Bobby Brown and snowboarder Eric Willett. Each athlete claims a Vail Resorts mountain as home turf, along with a GoPro as the go-to device for capturing device video. According to the release, both companies see this shared athlete base as a prime way to feature athletes and bring them closer, via video, to their fans.
Trending In: Sports
- Podcast: Breckenridge’s ‘Doc PJ’ chats Saturday’s Imperial Challenge ‘pseduo-triathlon’
- As Major League Rugby launches, Frisco’s Connor Cook describes the journey to become a pro athlete
- Breckenridge to have 1K acres of skiable terrain through Sunday, most all on Peak 8
- Cannabis for your workout: Four cannabis connoisseurs dish on their preferred strains when recreating
- King of the hill retires after 45 years with Aspen Skiing Co.
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Addiction cycled Tyler Little in and out of the Summit County Jail, but he walked out with his GED
- Summit County real estate sales slow down in March
- Pet owners turn to CBD treatments for ailing dogs as research on the subject takes shape