Winter Park’s Mooney tapped to coach Canadian mogul team
October 9, 2014
WINTER PARK – Winter Park Resort's head freestyle coach Freddy Mooney has joined Team Canada, with whom he will serve as technical coach for the Men's World Cup Mogul Team, working with some of the planet's best mogul skiers.
After 12 years working with Winter Park Competition Center athletes, the last five of which he was head freestyle coach, Mooney will now coach turns and be a fill-in strength adviser for Team Canada's A and B Men's Mogul Groups, which includes athletes like Mikael Kingsbury (currently ranked No. 1 in the world), Phillipe Marquis and Marc-Antoine Gagnon, all of whom represented Canada in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
"Coaching the Canadian World Cup team is a chance of a lifetime sort of opportunity," said Mooney. "They are just coming off of a tremendous performance in Sochi, winning both the gold and silver medals. Right now, they're the best, they're the team the rest of the world is chasing. I love Winter Park, and it will always be home. My history here, and the strength of the Competition Center, have gotten me to where I am. Now, I'm excited for this amazing opportunity to take my coaching to the next level."
Mooney will have the opportunity to travel with the team to this year's World Championships in Austria, the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeong Chang, South Korea, and various World Cup competitions throughout the world.
A Grand County native and graduate of Middle Park High School, Mooney spent 29 years in the Winter Park Competition Center as either an athlete or a coach, competing as a member of the United States Men's Freestyle Ski Team from 1999–2006 and also appearing in the Warren Miller film "Off the Grid" in 2007.
As coach, Mooney mentored Winter Park's best athletes while also serving as architect of the Competition Center's Sports Science Program, which incorporates strength training, nutrition, sports psychology and fitness testing in an effort to maximize an athlete's total potential. In the summer, Mooney served as race director for Trestle Bike Park's Gravity Series, where he organized the entire series as well as designed and set race courses for the Enduro World Series.
Recommended Stories For You
Mooney is the son of the founder of Winter Park's Freestyle Team, Laurie Mooney. He, his wife, Carol, and daughter Bella will continue to live in Grand County while Freddy coaches with Team Canada.
Trending In: Sports
- Boulder man hikes Mosquito-Ten Mile from Trout Creek Pass to Mount Royal (podcast)
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- KneeHab: Sex for knee patients? It’s a thing, and other post-op thoughts
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- That winning feeling: Summit High football tops Woodland Park 38-30 for first win since last October
- “Ill equipped” hikers with dog rescued after attempting 13er in shorts, tank tops
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect
- Gubernatorial candidate Jared Polis unveils plan to lower health care costs