Suspicious meat found at trailhead in Blue River
BLUE RIVER – A Frisco woman reported Friday the two dogs she was walking in Blue River gobbled a piece of meat apparently left at a trailhead, reminding her of the numerous attempted poisonings of two summers ago.
That year, numerous dogs were brought to local veterinarians after being let outside and returning home vomiting or in seizures.
Sue Johnson said she was walking a friend’s two dogs near the Pennsylvania Creek trailhead Sept. 6 when they encountered a piece of what she believed to be a store-bought flank steak. She took the meat to the Breckenridge Animal Clinic. The meat is currently being tested.
Numerous chunks of meat were also found at trailheads and other popular locations in Blue River two years ago. Some of those tested came back positive for antifreeze, but others were clear and were possibly just items roaming dogs found in garbage cans or on decks.
Animals like antifreeze because it is sweet-tasting. An animal that has consumed antifreeze often appears intoxicated, but can die of kidney failure if it isn’t treated within two to three days.
Steve Ford, then the Blue River River marshal, had a freezer full of meat brought to him from people who found it along trails in the area. He wanted to have each piece tested, but such tests are expensive.
Many people said they were appalled anyone would consider poisoning dogs. Such actions were believed to be retaliation against people who let their dogs roam in neighborhoods, sometimes dumping trash cans or threatening people.
Breckenridge veterinarian Ed Hastain said in 2000 he saw two dogs believed to have been poisoned, while veterinarians in Frisco and a Blue River mobile vet each saw one. All took place within a 24-hour period, making local animal doctors suspicious.
Most incidents took place at Blue River trailheads, although a woman staying on Peak 8 brought her dog to the vet after it swallowed what she believed to be a suspicious piece of meat. A Peak 7 resident brought her dog in after it was apparently shot through the trachea that summer.
Jane Stebbins can be reached at (970) 668-3998 ext. 228 or email@example.com.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.
Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.
Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User