Trashy view to disappear by spring | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Trashy view to disappear by spring

Summit Daily/Brad OdekirkLandfill operations are visible from the Summit Cove neighborhood in this recent photo. County officials say operations will move by next spring to a new cell that is not visible from the valley floor.
ALL |

SUMMIT COUNTY – It’s not snow Summit Cove residents are seeing from their north-facing windows. It’s trash.

“There are mounds of white stuff and you can see things blowing around,” said firefighter Bruce Farrell, who works at the Snake River Fire District’s Summit Cove station. He noticed the new view about one month ago. “It had never been visible before.”The “white stuff” is trash brought to the landfill and deposited into a new cell landfill operators started using this summer, according to assistant county manager Steve Hill.

The work at the cell is expected to be done and covered by the spring. Crews will then move to the next cell, which is not visible from the neighborhood.”We’re trying to do it as quickly as possible,” Hill said Monday. “But it’s a necessary part of our operation.”



The county is looking into the possibility of spraying a brown dye on the area to diffuse the visual impact, but it’s a matter of perspective, said Hill. “When you take a look at the field of vision, the landfill fills up less than 1 percent,” he said. “It’s really a beautiful view. I suggest people look at the other 99 percent.”


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User