Two fires extinguished in Breck | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Two fires extinguished in Breck

Jane Stebbins

BRECKENRIDGE<Firefighters were called to the scene of two fires at Breckenridge-area homes Wednesday afternoon.According to Kim O1Brien of the Red, White and Blue Fire Department in Breckenridge, firefighters first were summoned to a fire at 128 Reiling Road in French Creek. Residents at the home said they smelled smoke, opened a closet door and saw flames.Within four minutes, eight firefighters and two engines arrived and extinguished the fire. The cause was determined to be cigarette butts lying next to the house. The fire likely spread in the high winds that afternoon.3Had these people not been home at the time, their house might very well have been destroyed, O1Brien said. 3If you1re going to smoke, we recommend you make sure you put your cigarette out completely. If you1re smoking outside, make sure you put it in a metal container with a lid on it so these kind of mistakes don1t turn deadly.While in French Creek, the department received another call for a fire at Trappeur Villas at 1374 Broken Lance Dr., in Warrior1s Mark, on the other side of town. Nineteen firefighters from Red, White and Blue and the Lake Dillon Fire Rescue responded to help a woman who saw flames shooting out of a hot tub heater.The fire had been extinguished by the time they arrived, but firefighters checked the adjacent walls to make sure the fire hadn1t spread.According to Red, White and Blue Fire Lt. Mike Rutherford, the cause of the fire was traced to an electrical switch between the heater and the hot tub.Jane Stebbins can be reached at 668-3998 ext. 228 or jstebbins@summitdaily.com.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User