X Games Day 1: Summit slopestyle snowboarders highlight schedule
Chris Corning, Red Gerard hope to qualify out of loaded field
ASPEN — This winter’s X Games Aspen at Buttermilk Ski Area got off to a soft, snowy start Wednesday evening when Longmont native and Dillon resident Chase Blackwell qualified through in the final position to Thursday night’s primetime men’s snowboard superpipe final (8 p.m. on ESPN).
For Blackwell, it was a dream come true at his first X Games years after he and his father made it a tradition to attend the event.
Thursday’s primetime men’s snowboard superpipe final, which is taking place with a new jam format this year, is far from the only event going on at Buttermilk on Thursday’s first big day of the X Games. At high noon, Summit County snowboarders Chris Corning and Red Gerard will compete in a talented and deep men’s snowboard slopestyle elimination round.
Corning and Gerard will look to make the cut to Saturday’s snowboard slopestyle final (1:45 p.m.) from a 16-rider field that features one heavy-hitter after another. Names like Sebastien Toutant, Sven Thorgren, Max Parrot, Stale Sandbech and Darcy Sharpe litter the elimination round roster. Then there’s talented young riders like Brock Crouch, Judd Henkes and Luke Winkelmann, who are also competing.
Needless to say, it’s no guarantee Gerard and Corning make it out of qualifiers. The good news for the Olympic gold medalist Gerard and the reigning FIS World Cup season champion Corning is that they will drop in 13th and 15th, respectively, meaning they’ll have a good idea of what they need to execute on the Buttermilk slopestyle course.
Here’s the rest of Thursday’s schedule:
- Noon-1:30 p.m. Men’s snowboard slopestyle elimination
- 1:30-2:15 p.m Men’s ski big air elimination
- 7-7:30 p.m. Ski knuckle huck final
- 8-9 p.m. Men’s snowboard superpipe final
- 9-9:45 p.m. Women’s snowboard big air final
- Men’s snowboarding: Scotty James, Mark McMorris back for more
- Women’s snowboarding: Without Chloe Kim, Maddie Mastro has chance to shine
- Men’s skiing: Alex Ferreira goes for repeat gold
- Women’s skiing: Kelly Sildaru returns for another attempt at the golden trifecta
- Aussie rider Scotty James goes for 10 straight wins as new format hits superpipe at X Games
- Wednesday X Games notes: Parrot rallies back from cancer, Gus talks Olympics
More X Games coverage:
- ESPN, snowboarders to honor Jake Burton Carpenter in first X Games since his death
- Jack Mitrani back for fourth year as X Games Aspen host
- Colorado artist Lisa Issenberg embraces opportunity to make X Games medals
- Dillon’s Chase Blackwell realizes dream of competing at X Games
The lead-up to X Games:
- Breckenridge resident Taylor Gold podiums at Laax Open superpipe final
- Watch: Red Gerard finishes as runner-up at Laax Open slopestyle competition
- Watch: Silverthorne’s Chris Corning stomps quad-cork 1800 to win big air World Cup in Atlanta baseball stadium
- Red Gerard takes us behind the scenes of the journey to film ‘Joy’
- Scotty James bests Yuto Totsuka in weather-affected Copper Grand Prix superpipe final
- Americans Blunck, Wise tame powder-filled Copper pipe to go 1-2 in Grand Prix
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.
Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.
Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User