White River use not that heavy | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

White River use not that heavy

J.D. Donovan - Frisco

Contrary to all the doom and gloom rhetoric concerning the overwhelming number of visitors to the White River National Forest (WRNF), the simple truth is that virtually the entire forest is not heavily used but is actually comparatively lightly used.

One need only look at the facts mathematically to realize this.

Seventy-one percent of the visitors to the WRNF come here during the winter months to ski .

The ski areas utilize a mere 1.4 percent of the White River, meaning that the remaining 98.6 percent of the forest sees only 2.8 million visitors, or less than half the visits of the second-busiest forest, the Arapaho Roosevelt.

Obviously, lumping skier numbers with nonskier users only serves to inflate the apparent number of visitors rather than provide an accurate assessment of user impacts across the entire forest on a yearlong basis

While there are certainly localized problem areas within the WRNF, overall, the forest is not being overrun and is indeed in generally good health as confirmed in the Draft Environmental Impact Statement.

Attempting to distort the facts and figures in order to further personal agendas will do little to ensure the continued good health of our forest.

J.D. Donovan

Frisco


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User