Letter to the editor: Morgan Liddick just parrots Donald Trump’s lies
Fact-checking Morgan Liddick’s columns gets tiresome but somebody needs to. As the old saying goes, plenty of job security.
Like President Donald Trump, Liddick is a distortion dispenser. Trump has accumulated over 20,000 falsehoods and lies while in office, according to nonpartisan fact-checkers like FactCheck.org, and Liddick often parrots him.
Liddick’s Aug. 25 column (“Democratic Party platform a toxic stew”) criticizes their platform. Liddick, you may not like it, but at least they have one.
For the first time in its 166-year history, the GOP doesn’t have one. Instead, there’s vague talk of sticking with 2016s but mostly a brief statement surrendering its independence to Trump, stating the party will support anything he wants to do. Proving again the once-proud GOP has become the Cult of Trump. Do Democrats’ warnings of increasing authoritarianism seem realistic now?
Unsurprisingly, the new/old GOP platform doesn’t include Trump’s undelivered 2016 promises:
- Finishing the border wall (with Mexico paying for it)
- Repealing Obamacare (since Republicans never created viable health-care plans)
- Reducing, then eliminating, federal debt (quite the opposite, increasing debt more than any other post-war president)
- Creating 4% economic growth (the best was 3% from massive tax cuts that exploded deficits)
- Releasing tax returns (he promised he would, after alleged IRS audit; still hasn’t)
Liddick repeats Trump’s lies (among many) about Democrats’ proposals:
- “Biden wants to defund police” (Biden stated unequivocally he does not)
- Trump’s done better on the economy (Trump continued growth Obama started, after disastrous Great Recession; then Trump’s COVID failures wrecked it again)
- Biden will “raise your taxes” (He’s pledged to overturn Trump’s tax cuts for the top 1% earners and corporations only and help middle- and working-classes)
So thanks for the job security, Liddick. Too bad I’m like millions of Americans and not getting paid.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.
Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.
Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.