Dr. Christine Ebert-Santos: Amendment 69 takes the politics out of healthcare (letter)
January 15, 2016
I would like to respond to the article on skyrocketing health-care costs by Randy Wyrick ("Colorado lawmakers asked to help with skyrocketing health insurance costs," Jan. 9).
As Senator Irene Aguilar stated in a meeting we attended last week, "Whoever has the money has the power." Insurance companies have the money, and, with the threat of mergers between the major companies, they will have more money and more power. Health-care providers and hospitals have very little bargaining power when it comes to how much we are paid. Politicians are influenced by money and won't vote for measures that are not favorable to the large profits these companies can make. The cost of health insurance will continue to soar.
This is why we need Amendment 69 to take the politics out of heath care and give the money to the people in the form of a cooperative owned by all Coloradans with an elected board to trustees. A dedicated team of experts has been working on Coloradocare since 2008.
I urge every voter to attend our moderated educational community forum on Jan. 26 at the Senior Center in Frisco at 6:30 p.m. Initiated by Dr. Andy Catron and the Swan Mountain Women's Center, the forum will have speakers on both sides of the issue asking the hard questions about how to pay for health care.
Christine Ebert-Santos MD, MPS
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Local businesses raise $8,000 to wipe out Summit School District elementary school lunch debt
- Top 6 drives to see fall foliage near Breckenridge, Colorado (video)
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited