Summit Daily letters: SCRAP and recycling support
February 16, 2017
SCRAP and recycling support
Having participated in local recycling crisis discussions and reading about the local temporary solutions, I would like to add another perspective. Recycling in Summit County is more than just a "Badge of Honor," but a community responsibility that needs to continue and flourish. To saddle our landfill (SCRAP) with the fiscal burden of sole financial support of that effort is overly optimistic and unrealistic. It should also be noted that the county drop-off sites are convenient, effective (although single-stream technology would be even better) and an integral aspect of the recycling program. It is also a fact that some county residents do not pay for refuse pick-up service, but are patrons of the recycling centers.
It is discouraging to see most of the towns of the county forcing private enterprise (the haulers) how they run their businesses in the form of dictating that they must use SCRAP as the sole destination for trash. It seems certain that carters' increased cost of operation will be passed on to their customer base.
Given this situation I think it would be more sustainable, and fair, that county-wide recycling be supported by (additional) tax revenue, both residential and commercial. Residents have clearly indicated their inclination to pay (more) for a successful and sustainable recycling program. Additionally, incentives, through licensing fees, could be offered to carters using SCRAP to maximize the facility's bottom line.
Trending In: Opinion
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Addiction cycled Tyler Little in and out of the Summit County Jail, but he walked out with his GED
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- As conditions ravage Imperial Challenge, Breck’s Howdyshell wins, Campbell family shines
- Pet owners turn to CBD treatments for ailing dogs as research on the subject takes shape