Mikaela Shiffrin’s Pyeongchang debut delayed due to strong winds
February 11, 2018
PYEONGCHANG, South Korea — Mikaela Shiffrin will have to wait two more days for her 2018 Olympic debut.
But now she'll start her Olympics with her strongest event, the slalom.
Monday's giant slalom was delayed due to heavy winds at the Yongpyong Alpine Centre. The race has been rescheduled for Thursday — Wednesday night Colorado time.
The slalom is scheduled for Wednesday — Tuesday night in Colorado.
"It's a bummer that we're not able to race today," she said in a statement. "But with the training block I've had, I'm prepared and feeling good. I'll use this time to continue to train and refocus on Wednesday's slalom race. We have a great gym and space to eat and take plenty of naps, so I'll use this time to recharge."
The U.S. starters are Shiffrin, Resi Stiegler, Megan McJames and Tricia Mangan.
Recommended Stories For You
Vail's Sarah Schleper, who is now competing for Mexico, will also race in the giant slalom.
The men's downhill, originally set for Monday, has already been rescheduled for Thursday, at the Jeongseon Alpine Centre.
Shiffrin will be gunning for her second career Olympic medal at Wednesday's slalom. She won the Olympic slalom four years ago in Sochi, Russia.
The 22-year-old Eagle-Vail resident is seen as a multiple medal threat at these Games. She said she hasn't decided yet which events she will compete in beyond the slalom and giant slalom.
"I don't feel pressure to medal as a favorite or I don't feel any external pressure," she said last week. "Fore me, the expectations come more for myself, which is actually the biggest kind of pressure of all. But I care. I want to medal. I want to medal in multiple disciplines, but I also know going against my competitors … they all want to medal, too."
Trending In: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics
- Dierdorff charges to gold-medal final but just short of podium at 2018 Winter Olympics
- For Colorado couple, years of Olympic work come to a speedy end
- Park City aerials skier Madison Olsen reaches super finals at Deer Valley
- ‘Better turns every day’: Mikaela Shiffrin still improving as she eyes more gold in PyeongChang Olympics
- Parkite Madison Olsen prepares for Winter Games with rest and soup
- Frisco residents resist ballot measure that would authorize workforce housing on “pocket park”
- In Summit County, vacation rentals often, but not always, more profitable than long-term leasing
- Crepes a la Cart’s second location eases pressure on one of Breckenridge’s longest, most prohibitive lines
- Steamboat woman turns over custody of embattled husky Sitka
- The new normal: Changes to blood pressure guidelines you should know