Shaun White pulls out of X Games to rest for Olympics
January 28, 2018
ASPEN, Colo. — Shaun White has withdrawn from the Winter X Games so he can return home to rest for the Olympics.
White caught the flu last week. He was practicing in Aspen this week but notified event organizers he would not compete. He leaves for Pyeongchang next Saturday.
Taking White's place in the lineup for Sunday's halfpipe contest is Toby Miller, the 17-year-old American who has been training and spending a lot of time with White.
White is an eight-time X Games champion in the halfpipe, but his main focus this season has been earning his third Olympic gold medal. He scored a 100 two weeks ago in Snowmass to win a qualifying event and secure his spot on the U.S. team.
His next competition will come Feb. 13 in the qualifying round of the Olympics.
Trending In: PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics
- String of fights at Summit High School could lead to charges against multiple students
- Dave and Amanda Repsher settle back into Summit County life years after deadly helicopter crash
- Summit County is contemplating changing tax assessment rates on for-profit homeowners
- Isak Heartstone saved? Artist claims deal with Breckenridge to rebuild beloved troll
- Big Boi joins Gramatik for Breck’s Mountain Dew Snow Dance