Breckenridge Brewery and Ullr’s skate to tie |

Breckenridge Brewery and Ullr’s skate to tie

BRECKENRIDGE – A full regulation game in Monday night’s ice hockey B League at the Stephen C. West Ice Arena in Breckenridge wasn’t enough to determine a winner, so overtime was necessary to figure it out.

The game was a late one, beginning at 10:45 p.m., and a 3-3 tie between Ullr’s and the Breck Brewery ensued.

After establishing three different leads during the game, fatigue and the late start may have been the issue for Ullr’s, preventing them from making a stronger bid for the win.

“We played well but failed to capitalize on some missed opportunities,” said Michael Winepol. “It would have helped to have a full squad.”

As a result, early on in the game, Ullr’s resorted to dumping the puck down the ice to reserve energy.

Early on, however, Ullr’s’ Stoy Dugoratt streaked down the right side untouched to put one home over Breck goalie Scott Kreider’s right shoulder to give Ullr’s the lead.

A holding penalty gave the Brewery its first power play chance with seven minutes remaining in the first period.

They failed to capitalize and Ullr’s regained even-strength on the ice, but the Brewery’s Jason Gusas weaved through the defense and slipped one home to even the score at 1-1 with 3:40 left in the first.

In a scrum in front of the Brewery’s goal, Ullr’s poked one past Kreider just 20 seconds before the first intermission buzzer to break the tie.

“Just shoot the puck,” demanded Ullr’s’ Dugoratt at intermission, as it had worked for them in the first.

At 10:36 in the second, the Brewery’s Dominic Sciolo hit the side of the net in a failed attempt to knot the score. Five minutes later, Vlado Pazin for the Brewery had a deflection out of mid-air, but Ullr’s goalie Scott Meegan managed to cover up to keep the lead in Ullr’s’ favor.

Breck Brewery’s well-executed possession game with fast-break attacks into the Ullr’s offensive zone went unrewarded until 10:01 into the third, when Gusas caught a pass, then completed a give-and-go through Sciolo to slip it through the five-hole and even the score.

In the third period, with less than eight minutes to play, Cruder failed to cover up the puck and it squirted free to Winpol, who was hanging out in front of the net. He stuffed it home, giving Ullr’s the lead, 3-2.

Ullr’s called a time-out to discuss how to keep the lead and determined the plan was to dump and chase. At 3:39 left in regulation, Ullr’s Dugoratt drew a penalty for interference, giving the Brewery a chance to tie the game.

The power play came though, and the Brewery scored off a huge face-off win as Zack Hersche slipped the puck in to even the score.

In the overtime, Ullr’s’ Dugoratt had a strong scoring chance, juking two defenders and weaving his way in front of the net, but Kreider was solid, staying still and covering up.

“It was a good effort, but we choked in the end,” claimed Dugoratt, putting the blame squarely on his own shoulders.

Ullr’s came out of the game with a 3-5-1 record while Breck Brewery now sits at 4-4-1.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User