Clarett does it again: Mo a no-show
MIAMI ” The college football all-star challenge offered Maurice Clarett a chance to flash some personality, bolster his shaky image and confirm he’s ready for NFL scouts.
He failed to show.
The elusive, reclusive former Ohio State running back was scheduled to participate in the eight-player skills event, which was taped Monday by Fox TV at Dolphins Stadium for broadcast Saturday. But he recently hired a new agent, Steve Feldman, who told organizers late last week that Clarett was pulling out.
By stiff-arming the commitment, Clarett reinforced doubts about his reliability and fitness with the NFL scouting combine three weeks away.
“It was completely my decision,” Feldman said. “He wanted to be there, but from a safety standpoint, it doesn’t seem logical to take a chance that he might tweak something or pull something or damage something that would prevent him from showing off his stuff at the combine.”
At the combine a year ago, Clarett showed up overweight and declined to work out. He hasn’t played since being suspended by Ohio State following the 2002 season.
Feldman said his client is healthy and working with a private trainer but declined to say where.
“This guy will blow people’s minds at the combine,” Feldman said. “He is in fantastic shape. That’s why it seems ludicrous to jeopardize it at this point.”
Organizers disputed Feldman’s contention that Clarett would have risked injury in the event, which measures agility, speed and strength. Model Marisa Miller ” who will appear on the telecast ” tested the course without incident, said Dan Jones, vice president of Intersport, the company producing the show.
“If a supermodel can run through the course in high heels and not get injured, I’m pretty sure Maurice Clarett can do it without getting injured,” Jones said.
But with the combine approaching, Feldman said Clarett can’t risk even a minor injury, unlike other NFL prospects.
“The other guys have film. They’ve played the last two years. They can afford a tweak or pull,” Feldman said. “He can’t. He’s got to be ready.”
Following the combine in Indianapolis, which begins Feb. 23, Clarett will likely take part in two or three private workouts, Feldman said.
Clarett will be eligible for the draft in April after his legal bid to enter the NFL last year was overturned by an appeals court.
Organizers of the all-star challenge said Clarett had accepted an invitation to the event earlier in January before hiring Feldman.
“Unfortunately, Maurice is carrying forward his tradition of not honoring commitments and being very unpredictable,” Jones said. “We were excited about giving him an opportunity to change the public perception, and unfortunately he has done the exact opposite and reinforced it.”
Players participating included Aaron Rodgers, Jason White, Carnell Williams and Braylon Edwards, who shrugged off Clarett’s absence.
“To be invited to something like this, I thought it would be something good for him,” Edwards said. “Clarett’s Clarett.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.
Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.
Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User