Comeback for Summit girls’ lax falls short |

Comeback for Summit girls’ lax falls short

FARMER’S KORNER – In just four games, the Tigers had already completed two remarkable comebacks heading into their matchup with St. Mary’s. Both times, Summit trailed by at least three goals with the time dwindling off the clock. Both times, the Tigers won in the final minute.

It seemed they were primed for yet another dramatic win Wednesday at home.

With 1:43 remaining, a St. Mary’s attacker stepped on the Tiger endline as her team was trying to run out the clock for a one-goal win. The turnover gave Summit another chance, and the Tigers’ speedy defenders got the ball upfield in a hurry.

Junior Haley Anderson caught a pass 30 yards from the St. Mary’s net and cut through a defender, worked her way toward the crease and ripped a shot … right into the goalie’s stick.

Comeback thwarted, Summit settled for a 9-8 loss to one of the Front Range’s top teams.

“It was so close, but it was a great game,” SHS head coach Kristen Elliott said. ” … It’s just a reminder that we can play with these teams down in Denver, which is awesome.”

Really, the game was about as even as it could get, the only difference being St. Mary’s jumped out to an early lead, and the Tigers never quite caught up.

Anderson, Kelly Joyce and Kates Raymond all had two goals for Summit. Madi Grosshuesch had the other tallies.

The Tigers didn’t get on the scoreboard, though, until they were already trailing 2-0.

Joyce’s first goal of the game tied the game at 3-3 halfway through the first half, and that would be the only time Summit held even a share of the lead.

The Tigers trailed 5-3 at the break, and it would’ve been a three-goal lead had sophomore goalie Chelsea Christainson not made a lunging save on a free-release shot with 29.8 seconds left.

“Defense was great today and communicated well,” Elliott said, including the play of her netminder in her comments. “They played a great game.”

St. Mary’s came out firing in the second half and built a commanding 9-6 lead with just 13:14 to play.

Then the Tigers came roaring back.

Anderson netted her second goal of the game on a hard shot from 10 yards out, and defender Emmy Griffith took an end-to-end rush all the way to the St. Mary’s goalmouth and buried a shot to get Summit within one with 2:50 left.

The Tigers had a couple chances to get the equalizer in the waning minutes but couldn’t come up with the goal.

“I think they played a great game,” Elliott said. “Can’t ask for too much more than that.”

The game was a rematch of the first round of the state playoffs a year ago, when the Tigers also lost by a single goal. Even in defeat, though, Elliott said the team should gain confidence from the game – and the team’s tough five-game non-league slate to start the season.

“I think playing … these non-league games really shows us we can compete with these teams and the teams in our league,” she said.

Summit (3-2) hosts Eagle Valley at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User