Formation flip leads to Tigers’ first win of year |

Formation flip leads to Tigers’ first win of year

summit daily news
summit county, co colorado

ENGLEWOOD ” Losing its first four games of the season and only scoring four goals in those games brought about a chance for the Summit High School soccer team. Head coach Justin Turri switched Justin Hollenbeck from forward to midfield and Erik Brooks from midfield to forward for the team’s game against Jeffco League opponent Englewood last night.

It was a good idea, as the Tigers went on to score four goals en route to a 4-2 victory over Englewood High School.

“You could tell right away, better way to play with that formation,” Turri said. “Justin was sending some great balls forward all night long … I don’t want to take credit for it because the kids played well, but I think with Brook’s speed it made more sense and it did create a lot more scoring chances by making that switch.”

The switch didn’t immediately produce results, though. Englewood was the team to get on the board first in the 20th minute with a long-ball that found its forward’s head about six yards from the goal. He redirected the ball past Summit goalkeeper Ben Ferris to give Englewood the early 1-0 lead.

Five minutes later, Summit’s switch would begin to show dividends, as Hollenbeck got a ball through to Hunter Black who would score to tie the game.

Then in the 30th minute Brooks would receive a long ball from Zach Black in the penalty box. Brooks brought the ball down and was then “run over,” according to Turri, which resulted in a penalty kick. Brooks put the penalty kick in the goal to give the team the first lead it had held all season.

The score remained this way until the 60th minute when Summit struck again, this time off a corner kick. Kegan Zorens kicked the ball to Hollenbeck by the far post, where he managed to head it by the Englewood defender to make the score 3-1.

Englewood would strike with nine minutes to go in the game, when Summit was called for a penalty just outside the box. Englewood put the free kick in the upper corner of the far post to even the score at 3-2.

Hunter Black scored the final goal of the game for Summit when he got another breakaway and beat the Englewood goalkeeper to the ball. He knocked the ball away and scored to give the game its final 4-2 tally.

“It’s huge to get that first ‘W,’ and it was our first conference game,” Turri said. “It’s tough to be 1-4, but to be 1-0 in conference that’s more important.”

The team will get a chance at its second victory on Wednesday against D’Evelyn at home.

Jonathan Batuello can be reached at (970) 668-4653 or

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User