Lady Tigers fall to Eagle Valley Devils, 3-2, in OT |

Lady Tigers fall to Eagle Valley Devils, 3-2, in OT

Summit Daily/Mark Fox

As the wind whipped through Tiger Stadium on Friday night, the Lady Tigers’ soccer team fought its way upfield in an attempt to end a 2-2 tie with the Eagle Valley Devils.

Sophomore Claire MacMurray put herself back into fight mode after Eagle Valley scored its second goal with less than 20 minutes left in the game. She charged the net. The defense stepped it up. Still, strong winds and cooler temperatures than those in Steamboat’s season opener on Thursday had chilled the pace of the game.

And so, tied at 2-2, the game went into two 5-minute, sudden-death overtimes.

Summit had a few opportunities, but none converted. Then, in the second overtime, the Devils took it up a notch. After a few failed attempts at cross-goal shots (goalie Tessa Winston made two saves; a defender made the third), Eagle Valley’s Megan Asmasussen received a pass and pressed the ball into the net for the final 3-2 score.

“Tonight was a hard one,” head coach Tommy Gogolen said. “The girls played last night. They were feeling good coming into this game. We were really short on numbers, really short, but it’s definitely not an excuse. The girls know we should have won that game, I know we should have won that game. We just didn’t play our best soccer. We dropped down to a little below our level and made it an even playing field.”

Gogolen said wind had a lot to do with where play concentrated in both halves. Summit controlled the game in the first half, but Eagle Valley maintained possession in the second.

Eagle Valley’s first goal came from a fast break up the middle, a goal Gogolen said should never have happened.

Meanwhile, Rachel Fitch scored Summit’s two goals off of free kicks.

With low numbers, Summit dogged it in the second half, and Eagle Valley capitalized on the loss of momentum.

“(In the second overtime), they had the momentum. They were just feeling it. Their energy level was a little better. They also played last night, so it was an even playing field. They just outplayed us toward the end,” Gogolen said.

Summit next faces Battle Mountain on March 14. Eagle Valley lost, 10-2, to the Huskies on Thursday.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User