Locals take second in softball tourney | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Locals take second in softball tourney

SILVERTHORNE – As the Spider Stephens Memorial softball tournament wrapped up its 30th year this weekend, local men’s team Ski Country Antiques finished its third as runner-up in the tournament.

Front Range team Caldwell Bankers-Partners edged out Ski Country in the men’s division while Lumber Company Legends took third. Team RTA won the women’s division with a win over second-place Wild Turkeys while the Diamonds rounded out the podium in third. Coed play wrapped up Sunday with Adrian Cooemer – Caldwell Bankers coed incarnation – winning over team A.E.I.

This year’s tournament featured a record number of 45 teams from throughout Colorado, and an increased number of runs scored because of the new five-homer game limit rule.



“There were a lot of runs scored all weekend, which is what softball is all about,” said tournament director Steve Wilkins of the Summit County Softball League. “There was some high intensity out there. It was a very good tournament that went off without a hitch.”

Besides Ski Country Antiques, locals Country Kitchen faired well, tying for fifth in the coed division and seventh (with the Blue Tics) in the men’s division. The Master Sealers of Vail took fifth in the men’s division and the Moose Chicks took fifth in the women’s division.



Wilkins said one allure of the Spider Stephens tournament is that teams with enough representation from both genders can play in every division, and organizers rely on this for growth in future years.

“I would say 75 percent of the teams here are very high level,” he said. “And the other 25 percent either don’t have the talent or the luck. The mystique of Spider Stephens comes down to the fact that there’s women’s, coed and men’s (divisions). Everyone can come up here with their wives and friends and keep the tournament going.”

Shauna Farnell can be reached at (970) 668-3998, ext. 236, or at sfarnell@summitdaily.com.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User