Roger Clemens: I never took banned substances
NEW YORK – Roger Clemens denied allegations by his former trainer that he took performance-enhancing drugs, calling them “a dangerous and destructive shortcut that no athlete should ever take.”The accusations against the seven-time Cy Young Award winner from his former trainer, Brian McNamee, were contained in last week’s Mitchell Report. Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell said McNamee said he injected Clemens with steroids in 1998 while with the Toronto Blue Jays, and steroids and human growth hormone in 2000 and 2001, while with the New York Yankees.”I want to state clearly and without qualification: I did not take steroids, human growth hormone or any other banned substances at any time in my baseball career or, in fact, my entire life,” Clemens said Tuesday in a statement issued through his agent, Randy Hendricks. “Those substances represent a dangerous and destructive shortcut that no athlete should ever take.”I am disappointed that my 25 years in public life have apparently not earned me the benefit of the doubt, but I understand that Senator Mitchell’s report has raised many serious questions. I plan to publicly answer all of those questions at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. I only ask that in the meantime people not rush to judgment.”Another McNamee client, Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte, said last weekend that he took HGH twice while rehabbing from an injury in 2002. Mitchell said McNamee told him he injected Pettitte with HGH two-to-four times that year.Baseball players and owners didn’t have an agreement banning steroids until September 2002. They banned HGH in January 2005.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.