Summit boys’ lacrosse team storms to win over Battle Mtn. |

Summit boys’ lacrosse team storms to win over Battle Mtn.

Summit Daily/Mark Fox

FARMER’S KORNER – With the wind whipping off Dillon Reservoir, swirling the falling snow around Tiger Stadium, the Summit High boys’ lacrosse team played its sharpest game of the season despite conditions that would make those in the Iditarod blush.

Four Tigers scored two goals apiece, sophomore goalie Garrett Tousey made an astonishing 17 saves on 18 shots, and Summit put a hurting on Shrine Pass-rival and previously unbeaten Battle Mountain 9-1 Thursday at home.

“It was a good team effort with a lot of balance all around,” SHS head coach Karl Barth said. “It was nice to get back on the horse.”

And it came just two days after getting bucked off the top of the league standings by Steamboat Springs on Tuesday. In the lopsided loss, Summit managed only one goal and struggled to get much going on offense.

Thursday was a different story, though, as the Tigers’ scoring punch seemed to blow back in with the gusting winds.

Tousey made three sprawling saves in the game’s opening minutes, before junior attackman Ben Daniels ripped a shot past the Battle Mountain goalie for an early 1-0 lead.

Daniels scored again just a minute later. Then with a little more than two minutes remaining in the first quarter, Tousey netted a save and quickly pushed the play upfield. The ball eventually found sophomore Sean Farley in the high slot, and he finished the play for a 3-0 lead.

“We had the start we wanted,” Barth said. “The games we’ve struggled in have been a lot about the start.”

And Battle Mountain couldn’t find a way to get the ball past Summit’s stellar sophomore. Tousey made six saves in the opening quarter, all of them coming in near whiteout conditions, making spotting the ball all the more difficult.

“I don’t know. (The ball’s) yellow,” Tousey said of how he was able to stop all of the Huskies’ scoring opportunities. “I just concentrated hard.”

Summit opened the game up in the second half and never let Battle Mountain push for a comeback, as the weather only got worse. Parents and school officials shoveled snow to the sidelines in between whistles, and the Tiger defensemen kept the Husky attackers to the outside for much of the final two quarters as passes became increasingly harder to catch for the visiting team.

Farley, Daniels, Dylan Horan and George Gruber all scored twice, and midfielder Vinny Pestello also had a goal.

The Tigers (4-3, 3-1) are back on their home field Saturday when they host Windsor in a non-league contest. Barth said Thursday’s win should help his team boost its confidence.

Although, with the way things have gone thus far this spring, he doesn’t want the Tigers getting over-confident.

“They were undefeated and ranked 12th (in the state),” Barth said of Battle Mountain. “Anyone can beat anyone around here.”

Saturday’s game starts at 11 a.m.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User