Summit boys’ lax tops Green Mountain in opener |

Summit boys’ lax tops Green Mountain in opener

Summit Daily/Mark Fox

FARMER’S KORNER – It took only one quarter for the Summit High boys’ lacrosse team to get its first big test of the season.

Tempers were flaring, and both teams were starting to pick up penalties quicker than ground balls – it was getting “chippy,” as the Tigers’ new coach Karl Barth put it.

Summit still had a 4-3 lead over Green Mountain High School heading into halftime, but a 10-minute period to start the second quarter – in which the Tigers committed six penalties and allowed three goals, all on man-down situations – had the Tigers looking like their old selves, the team that led the Mountain League in penalties a year ago, rather than the new, disciplined squad they’re hoping to become.

“We got a little chippy with them and didn’t play our game; we were playing their game,” Barth said. “We got a little rushed and panicked and couldn’t settle.”

All that changed after the break.

Summit didn’t commit a single penalty in the second half, controlled possession and dominated the final two quarters for a 9-5 win at home.

“It was good, because it was something we’ve been working on – not making mental mistakes and taking penalties,” Barth said. “They had some good leadership on the field to settle it down.”

Senior attackman Dylan Horan scored five goals and assisted on two others, while leading a green front line that was filled out by two sophomores – Sean Farley and Evan Feldman. Farley scored twice and Feldman had one goal.

Defense was the story, though, for the Tigers.

Summit gave up only two even-strength goals on the night, and between the exceptional play of cousins Brian and Kyle Metzger, Green Mountain was left settling for outside shots all night, rarely attacking the net. And when the Rams did get in close, sophomore goalie Garrett Tousey was continually up to the task. He stopped an impressive 11 of 16 shots.

“Garrett was tracking everything today,” Barth said. “Even if they missed the goal, he was all over it.”

Horan got the Tigers going only 12 seconds into the game, after Tyler Nelson controlled the opening faceoff. Horan beat a defender one-on-one and buried a shot into the back of the net.

Farley scored off a pretty give-and-go with Horan two minutes later, and when senior midfielder Michael Daigle converted a turnover into a goal with 6:08 remaining in the first, the Tigers had a commanding lead.

Although their stranglehold on the game would slip a bit before halftime, Summit came out of the blocks firing in the second half. Horan scored twice and Farley added another to get the Tigers up 7-3 heading into the fourth quarter.

They cruised from there.

“It was good to get out playing and get that first one under our belt,” Barth said.

The Tigers (1-0) are right back on their home field today against Telluride at 11 a.m.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User