Summit girls soccer ties Delta 1-1 in double OT |

Summit girls soccer ties Delta 1-1 in double OT

Summit freshman Carly Cummings get's past a Delta defender to make a break on goal during the Tigers' 1-1 double overtime tie against the Panthers.
Sebastian Foltz / |

It looked for a while like the Summit girls soccer team might get their first win of the season Saturday in their home opener, but it just wasn’t meant to be. The Tigers played to a 1-1 double overtime tie in a back-and-forth game against Delta High School. It was their second overtime game this week. The team lost 2-1 at Steamboat Springs Tuesday.

“Overtime is always fun, but we were in a position not to get there,” assistant coach Travis Avery said of Saturday’s game. Avery was filling in for head coach Tommy Gogolen who recently underwent his fourth ACL surgery after an injury during the FIS Telemark World Ski Championships at Steamboat Springs last month.

Gogolen was on hand as a spectator and joined the team on the bench for overtime.

“We have a lot of young talent,” he said of his team. “They’re doing a lot of good things.”

He did not have a timetable for when he would return to coaching, but expects to later in the season.

The girls jumped off to a slow start Saturday — letting Delta keep the ball for much of the first half — but found their rhythm later in the game.

“We had two other games this week. We were all pretty tired,” Tiger junior captain Katie Sullivan said of the effort. “I think we could have come out more intense.”

After the slow start, the Tigers started to counter.

With 3:20 left in the half, Sullivan sent a shot off the crossbar and in the goal from beyond the 18 to put the Tigers up 1-0. Her shot was set up by a big throw-in by sophomore Natalie Gray and subsequent assist by Tiger freshman Carly Cummings.

Delta attempted a number of counters and came out strong in the second half but Summit defense held steady, led by goalie Lexi Vanderhoeven.

“I think we definitely played the best defense we’ve played this year,” Tiger defender Claire Pennell said. “Lexi did a great job.”

Pennell’s sister Marin also came up big with a goal-saving block after a goalie deflection early in the second half.

Delta scored the equalizer on a breakaway with 27 minutes left in the second half.

Both teams had numerous scoring opportunities late in the game and in overtime but were unable to capitalize.

“It frustrates me, but I’m glad we tied, we didn’t lose,” Vanderhoeven said. “I think we’re still trying to figure out how to work together.”

The tie bumped the team to 0-4-1 on the year. They’ll continue their four-game home stand against Battle Mountain Tuesday, March 17.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User