Summit soccer splits with Steamboat |

Summit soccer splits with Steamboat

summit daily news
Summit County, Colorado
Summit Daily/Mark Fox

FARMER’S KORNER – After Tuesday’s match, Summit head coach Matt Zeiset questioned his team’s work ethic. One thing he knew for sure, though, was that the Tigers are a resilient squad.

Summit scored twice in the second half, including a redirection off the foot of senior Gonzalo Astuni with 2:57 left in regulation, to squeak out a 2-2 split with Steamboat Springs in the team’s home opener at Climax Molybdenum Field at Tiger Stadium.

“I was really happy that they came back twice,” Zeiset said. ” For us to come back from a 1-0 deficit, then a 2-1 deficit and then really compete in overtime, that was really good to see. Taking that result, I’m happy with that.”

Astuni’s tally toward the end of the game helped Summit overcome a Sailors squad that controlled most of the match.

Forward Enrique Lopez scored twice for Steamboat in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to stay ahead.

For Zeiset, the level of his team’s play wasn’t quite enough, either.

“These guys, if they can learn to play the entire game 100 percent, we’ll be able to compete with a lot of teams,” the coach said. “When they just drop to, say, 75 percent, then the other team just zings the ball around.”

And that’s what happened early on, as Steamboat controlled the play in a scoreless opening half.

To start the second, Summit missed a pair of close-in chances before Lopez got Steamboat on the scoreboard. The speedy Sailor dribbled around the SHS defender in the right side of the box and ripped a shot off the far, left post and into the net for the 1-0 lead.

Steamboat continued to put pressure on the Tigers, but with 27:40 left to play, Summit sophomore Alan Roque sent a high cross toward the net from nearly 40 yards out. The ball arched just out of the reach of the Steamboat goalie’s mistimed jump and found the back of the net.

Lopez answered again for the Sailors, though, on a similar play as his first goal.

But the lead wouldn’t hold up.

With just under three minutes remaining, the Tigers were awarded a free kick off a Steamboat push. Senior Stale Norman sent a low hard cross toward the goal mouth, and Astuni was there for the tally.

The two teams played two scoreless overtimes before ending in the draw.

For the Tigers (0-1-1), the match was an improvement from their 4-1 loss to start the season at Battle Mountain Thursday. Although, Zeiset felt the match could have been played much better on the Summit side.

“Not to take anything away from Steamboat, they have a really good team and play very well … but it’s just a matter of us playing hard,” Zeiset said. “If we don’t do that, you’re not going to keep the ball. If you don’t keep the ball, you’re not going to win many games.”

Summit is back on the pitch Thursday, when the team travels to play Denver North at 6 p.m.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User