Summit soccer wins in wash out |

Summit soccer wins in wash out

summit daily news
summit county, co colorado

FARMER’S KORNER ” Weather forced a late start and early finish to Summit High’s soccer game against D’Evelyn. Due to lightning, the game was called after only one half of play. With the Tigers leading 2-1, it should potentially give the team a second Jeffco League victory.

According to the Colorado High School Association, if a game is called after one half it counts as a full game, but D’Evelyn head coach Brian Lux is hoping an appeal will grant the Jaguars a chance to finish the game.

“Hopefully we can get an appeal into CHSAA since me and the Summit coach (Justin Turri) have agreed to play the second half,” Lux said. “Just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best on that.”

Even with the possibility of another half to play, the Tigers found themselves in the early lead thanks in part to the speed of forward Hunter Black.

Just eight minutes into the game, Black cut off a pass 10 yards inside midfield. He took the ball down the right side of the field and, from a few yards inside the box, took a shot that got past D’Evelyn’s goalkeeper Ryan Pakieser.

The lead didn’t last for too long, though. Less than 10 minutes later D’Evelyn struck off a corner kick. The kick originally was headed by Dylan Thompson and then went to Ryan Woodroof, who headed it in the goal to tie the game at 1-1.

“What we didn’t do on that one is challenge the first head ball,” Turri said. “If the defensive back had been on his back going up with him, he would have blocked (the ball) as it flicked off his head.”

Later in the half, Summit found its second goal when it caught D’Evelyn a little off guard.

The Tigers had received a free kick about 10 yards outside of the box on the left side. Erik Brooks took the kick before D’Evelyn had completely set its defense, and the ball ricocheted off a Jaguar player and Summit’s Black. As Pakieser attempted to run down the ball, he slipped on the wet grass trying to change his direction. The ball went in to give Summit the 2-1 lead.

As the teams headed into half-time, lightning struck and the the players were stranded waiting to see if the game would be finished. After about an hour and a half of waiting, the game was finally called.

“As far as I’m concerned,” Black said, “if we came out in the second half like we did we would have won regardless.”

If the appeal does not go through (which all three referees told Lux they believed the results would count) Summit would be 2-0 in Jeffco League play and 2-4 overall.

Jonathan Batuello can be reached at (970) 668-4653 or

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User