Tigers play to 3-3 double overtime tie against Battle Mountain | SummitDaily.com

Tigers play to 3-3 double overtime tie against Battle Mountain

Sebastian Foltz
Summit's Ryan Rodgers (left) pursues the puck and a Battle Mountain defender during the Tigers 3-3 tie against the Huskies Friday night.
Sebastian Foltz / sfoltz@summitdaily.com |

The Tigers closed out consecutive home games with a 3-3 tie against rival Battle Mountain Friday night in double overtime.

“We had our chances. They had their chances. It could of gone either way,” head coach Bobby Dore said of the game that saw three lead changes.

“It was a good battle,” he said, adding, “A tie is better than a loss.”

Friday’s tie gave the team a needed point for conference standings and bumped the Tigers to 3-4-1 on the season, 2-2-1 in-conference. Summit topped Kent Denver with a convincing 7-2 win the previous night.

Battle Mountain jumped out to an early lead in a back-and-forth game in the Stephen C. West Ice Arena Friday night. Husky forward Crane McGuckin opened the game with a power-play goal less than four minutes into the first period.

The Tigers’ Mike Farely answered later in the period with the first of his two goals on the evening.

Summit stormed out of the gates after the first intermission with a George Kamins goal just 38 seconds into the period to put the Tigers up 2-1. The team held on to the lead for much of the period until a big hit by the Tigers’ Charley Peoples resulted in a 5-minute major for checking from behind. The Huskies seized on the opportunity with their second power play goal of the night, this time by Battle Mountain’s Clayton Davis late in the second.

Both teams combined for a nearly even split of 23 total penalty minutes in the hotly contested rivalry game.

The Tigers came out strong again in the third period but Battle Mountain’s Reynaldo Trillo capitalized on a fast-paced counter shortly after intermission. Trillo found the back of the net following up on a shot deflected by Tiger goalie Wyatt Dickerson.

Mike Farely scored the equalizer for the Tigers shortly after to put the game at 3-3 early in the third.

“We were just trying to get everything to the net,” Farely said of the team’s approach. His goal also came off a deflected save.

With a man each in the box, both teams had short-handed scoring opportunities late in the period with four on four. Neither was able to put the puck in the net.

Opportunities continued in overtime with back-and-fourth counters but both goalies held their ground.

Summit will travel to Dakota Ridge Tuesday, Jan. 20, and then play at league power Regis Friday.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.